Thursday, March 20, 2008

Interview with Wilson Chandler

A couple of weeks ago I met with Knicks rookie Wilson Chandler in New York and we did a short interview. He was a great guy, very friendly, humble and nice to be around. Here's what the emerging youngster had to say:

MW: Wilson, how does it feel to finally get some serious playing time after spending a lot of time on the bench earlier in the season?
WC: It definitely feels good. I mean you always want to be out there as a player. Right now I'm starting to get a feel for the game and I'm starting to get my rhythm back. I try to work hard, get easy shots and play hard.

MW: How tough was it for you to sit on the bench for basically the entire first half of the season?
WC: It was really tough coming out of college where I played a lot. It was a difficult experience and a big adjustment for me. But I tried to stay focused and work hard for my minutes.

MW: What was the toughest adjustment coming into the NBA? Was it the speed or the size of the opponents?
WC: It is everything. You are playing the best players in the world night in and night out. You have to be ready every day and you have to be mentally prepared for that.

MW: For a rookie you seem to be very calm and confident. Tell us why you aren't as hesitant as many rookies?
WC: I sat on the bench a long time so I knew when I get in there I had to be ready. I had to be aggressive and make plays. It is a chance and an opportunity for me to play and I want to make the best out of it.

MW: Who helped you the most in the beginning of the season?
WC: Definitely Malik Rose and Quentin Richardson. They kept me focused and tried to held my confidence up.

MW: What part of your game do you think needs the most work?
WC: I have to work on my ball handling and also on my shooting. I try to be a complete player but these two things definitely stand out to me.

MW: Was there any moment where you thought that you have arrived in the NBA and that you are a part of the league?
WC: It was on Draft Night actually. It was a great experience when I heard my name called. It was a dream come true for me. Every day I'm still thankful and happy that I made it to the NBA and it's a great feeling.

MW: Thanks a lot Wilson and good luck!
WC: Thank you!

No comments: